Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Beautiful State of Mind- The Project


With a title like that, I think it's funny that I posted a picture of me at the top of this post!

It's an old picture and though it hides my double chin and the lighting is forgiving to my acne prone complexion, I can still pick out a thousand flaws.

In my mind...I am not the picture of conventional beauty.

But I think that's a good thing.

My (very beautiful) friend Holly over at 504 Main invited me to participate in a project titled Beautiful State of Mind.  It is the brainchild of (the extremely gorgeous) Rhiannon at Hey Gorgeous and it has spurred something beautiful, in it's own right, in me.  It has prompted me to define what "beauty" actually is and means to me.  I've dug deep and it's been a revealing process.

Beauty, to me, is a coat of many colors so to speak.
(huh? say what?? follow me on this one...)

I'll just go ahead and say it...

I don't feel pretty.

Whew...boy is that a load off!

There was a point in my life when I felt beautiful.  I was thin and graceful.  I was prompt to schedule hair appointments, I exfoliated and I even took daily showers.
I wasn't a mom.

One of my favorite stories in the Bible, and a more well-known one, is the tale of Joseph and his Coat of Many Colors.  His daddy loved him so much he made this ornate jacket for him, which made all his brothers sick with jealousy so they plotted to murder him.  Turns out, they didn't kill him, they just sold him into slavery and for the next several years of his life, Joseph ensued a great deal of pain and misfortune.

All because of a coat of many colors??

No.  Not just that, though that was probably the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.  His brothers wanted nothing more than to be loved by their father as much as he loved Joseph.  The coat was just a representation of that love.

So Joseph experienced some really bad things because of his brother's anger towards him.  But his faith in God never waned and ultimately that (and his obedience) is what saved him.  His faith and God's love made his life, his whole testimony, Beautiful.  And remembered forever in God's word.

You know, I'm scarred and marred and life has taken it's toll on me, too.  I've got stretchmarks and fat deposits in places I didn't know I had.  I've got crows feet and the gray hairs are starting to take the brown ones hostage.  I'm quirky and crazy.  And on a good day I don't even make sense to myself.
On the outside, I'm the farthest thing from beautiful.

But I have been clothed in a coat of many colors.  And so have you.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.
Isaiah 53:5

Christ's blood= red
His bruises= black, blue and purple
His tears= clear
His glory and majesty= gold
We were never promised an easy road in this life, but despite all the things that make us "not so pretty" God still loves us.  We are extraordinary in His eyes.
And that makes me (us) Beautiful.

Would you like to chime in one what beauty means to you?  I think you should!  The actual "Project" will be launched in April, but discussions on the topic are underway right now!  Shoot on over to Hey Gorgeous and let Rhiannon know you want it!  I think we can all learn a lot from one another!

Blessings ya'll!




5 comments:

Leslie said...

Just read this Bible story today with my boys. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it - I relate in many, many ways - I used to feel pretty, but now 4 kids later I feel pretty much the opposite of that on most days! Thanks for this refreshing post. Blessings!

Kim & Dave said...

AMen!!! What a wonderful thing to be reminded that His Blood cleanses & clothes me!!

Lisa said...

This is such a beautiful post! I think we all feel "unlovely" sometimes. I'm glad he sees us through the blood, aren't you? :)
PS You are fabulous dahling!

Holly Lefevre said...

Kelli

Such a moving post...You are Gorgeous inside and out...even though we have not met, I can tell by your words how gorgeous you are. Putting beauty into words is making me think a lot. Your reference to the Bible story is unique and a new take on the typical description/topic of beauty.
Holly

PS-I am getting you the other info you asked about...sorry for the delay!

Jenn Erickson said...

Beautiful! I can certainly relate to the pre and post motherhood you, and love the way that you related this transformation to Joseph's coat of many colors. So true!