Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Yarn Along...

(sorry for the extremely washed out photo)

This week found me busier than usual.  I typically take my time on projects (as if you didn't notice from the year's worth of work-in-progress shawl), but with about a month to go before Nugget gets here, it is definitely crunch time.
Having said that, I did cheat a little. 
Note, I did knit. 
I am thiiiiis close to finishing my prayer shawl.  It has been a learning experience for sure, but I'm pleased with it so far and I'm looking forward to it being a source of support and love during my labor.  Once it is complete I think I'll move on to a slightly more challenging pattern and try to finish a blanket or vest for baby boo before he makes his debut.
Still using up my "stash" I decided to tear into a pile of thrifted 100% wool sweaters to make some diaper soakers.  I'm kind of in love with these little things.  I'm not new to sewing by any means, but I certainly don't consider myself a highly skilled seamstress either.  So I always surprise myself when I whip up something new.  My plan was to make two small and two mediums, but these look a little on the bigger side to me so I'll hold off until we know how big the boy is.  I tend to have big babies anyway...these will probably be perfect and I can just go up in size from here on out.  The sweaters I found were already felted so they are ready to go.  I did wash them...and I may even choose to lanolize them in the long run as well.  We'll just have to see.  I'm new to wool when it comes to cloth diapering, but I'm looking forward to it's potential...I've heard nothing but good about it.
I used this pattern to make the soakers.

On the reading front, I just started this book...

 
You can read all about it here.
 
So far it has been an inspiring read.  And just what I needed in this 34th week of pregnancy.  At this time (with all three pregnancies) I've found myself stressing more and more about things out of my control...instead of simply relying on Christ for my support.  This book has certainly been beneficial in reminding me that almost anything can become an idol if I let and pregnancy/ childbirth are no exception.  I can't wait to get more in depth with it.
 
Well, I look forward to seeing what all you have come up with this past week.  Your projects and abilities always amaze me!!  Thanks for visiting!
 
Joining up with Ginny for her weekly Yarn Along at Small Things
 
and
 
Nicole for Keep Calm Craft On at Frontier Dreams.


Blessings.


4 comments:

Renee said...

Congratulations! I'm in week 36 of my pregnancy. :-) I just may have to give that wool soaker pattern a try - thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

Those soakers are so cute!

Congratulations on the pregnancy, enjoy the last few weeks. Your book intrigues the doula in me :)

Lisa Uotinen said...

I love your diaper soakers. Those are great. I did not know about wool soakers when I was diapering my kids; I only cloth-diapered them for a little while. Don't be hard on yourself for feeling stress at this point in the pregnancy. It's sorta built into our hormones to tell our body to get ready for something big. Christ knows you rely on Him, anyone who reads your lovely blog posts can see that! You go!

Hannah said...

What a great idea for making soakers!